Saturday, September 4, 2010
SP1202 SUJA
I am thinking of writing on the Efficient Market Hypothesis. Roughly speaking, the hypothesis claims that our market is one in which the asset prices fully reflect available information. With respect to a stock market, the stock prices adjust immediately to the new information. The claim has some implications. Investors are unable to reap abnormal returns from analysing the price histories or financial reports for example. Further, many theories and pricing models in modern finance are based on the hypothesis. There is some empirical evidence supporting the claim and the the hypothesis went unchallenged 20 or 30 years ago. However, in recent years, there is some opposing evidence and some academics have formulated theory based on the behavioural finance. Until now, the academics divided into three camps, those supporting EMH, those supporting behavioural finance and majority left undecided. In my view, the EM is sort of an ideal limit which could never be achieved in real markets at all times. We can argue to which extent the real market resemble the hypothetical one. I also feel that markets are different in different parts of the world and in different time. Other factors such as law enforcement can also contribute towards the ideal market.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It is true that if we can wait forever, we would throw the world into the long run and let the market correct itself. i am no stock genius but i am interested.
ReplyDeleteThis topic is interesting as it considers he consumer behavior towards changes in market condition. this i believe is applying consumer economics to finance.
i am interested to know whether a model is possible to under certain condition be good in predicting market sentiments
personally i am for long term investment so i don't care about short term changes. The base of company is my base analysis. however i do believe in the future when we are able to forcast accurately, we will be able to play short!
haha awesome topic, man! personally im not sure if the EMH works due to the success of the likes of peter lynch and anomalies like the January effect!
ReplyDeleteHi ZHQuan! I'm not familiar with blogspot and not sure how to reply specifically to your comment here.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I quite agree with you that in the long term, market will correct itself. But there is a also a quote saying that market can stay irrational longer than one can stay solvent.
Although the hypothesis is about financial market, I feel it is more of a study on people.
Hi Dale. I do not know much about peter lynch. But I learnt some interesting calendar anomalies. I remember one of the seniors in Biz school wrote a thesis on them. Maybe I can take a look at his report. Haha, thank you!
ReplyDelete